Friday, September 12, 2014

Serving

Do you ever feel like something is missing in your life?  I have felt that way for a long time.  I work hard.  I do what I can for the kids, but I don't feel like I am serving anyone.  Honestly often I do not feel like I serve my family well or myself!

That is part of the journey I am starting here.  I want to be "whole".  Serving is a big piece of this puzzle.

I had the opportunity this summer to travel to Denver with my church and 50 amazing high school youth.  WOW did I learn a lot. These kids are amazing.  Are they selfish?  Are they self-centered?  Yes - sometimes - but not always!   Watching them serve, grow and learn was an amazing experience.

Building a foundation of faith in our youth is an absolute necessity especially as they start navigating those tricky middle school and high school years.









Prayer in action is love, and love in action is service. Try to give unconditionally whatever a person needs in the moment. The point is to do something, however small, and show you care through your actions by giving your time … We are all God’s children so it is important to share His gifts. Do not worry about why problems exist in the world – just respond to people’s needs … We feel what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but that ocean would be less without that drop.“- Mother Teresa


While we were in Denver, we participated in various service activities.  Sidewalk Sunday School, where God's Word and food were given to needy people, food shelves, thrift shop, food kitchens and so much more.  We met homeless people, heard their stories, worshiped, sang, cried and grew together.  The small group I was with, focused a lot on making sure our activities were "relevant".  Make a difference, be the voice and hands of God.

We got to experience the joy and peace God's beautiful earth and people.

We had mountain top worship and mountain top faith experiences.




Galatians 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Psalm 19:1 To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky 

above proclaims his handiwork.




I can't begin to explain the experience.  It was truly one of those, "you had to be there" things.

My message, hope and prayer, is that you all find and make time to serve.  Start by reading the bible, pray and meditate on ways to serve.  You will be infinitely blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment