I have researched many recipes on Facebook, Pinterest and on people’s blogs and decided to experiment. Needless to say my first experience wasn’t a huge success. Mine quickly hardened to a solid and had chunks! The instructions I found were sketchy at best for a first timer. So I will attempt to make them a bit more complete.
- Shea Butter – this butter has a very earthy smell. You measure it like you measure brown sugar. Pack it into a dry measuring cup. You can use any butter like this, Shea, Cocoa or? Raw Shea Butter is gray looking, be sure to get organic and butters without scents. Lakewinds has it in bulk, WholeFoods has it in jars.
- Coconut Oil – this is also considered a solid and is measure has a consistency like shortening. Pack into a dry measuring cup.
- Almond Oil – You can use any liquid oil for this, olive, jojoba, almond…
- Essential Oils* – It takes A LOT of oil to get the scent in the body butter. I used Peppermint** as it is strong. I would use 20-30 drops.
- 1 cup organic raw shea butter
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond oil
- 15-20 drops of Peppermint Oil – more to personal taste – Order Here
If it hardens too much, your butter will have chunks. If that happens but it back in the double boiler, melt it all up and chill again.
Do NOT keep this is a hot car – it will liquefy!